10 Top Things to Do in Yogyakarta, Indonesia in 2024
Yogyakarta is a city in Indonesia that is known for its rich history, culture, and natural beauty. It is a popular tourist destination for people from all over the world.
Here 10 of the top things to do in Yogyakarta in 2024
1. Explore the ancient wonders of Borobudur and Prambanan
Borobudur and Prambanan are two of the most iconic temples in Indonesia. Borobudur is the largest Buddhist temple in the world, and it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is known for its intricate carvings and statues. Prambanan is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia, and it is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is known for its beautiful architecture and carvings.
2. Immerse yourself in Javanese culture
Yogyakarta is the cultural center of Java, and there are many ways to experience Javanese culture. You can visit the Kraton, the Sultan's Palace, which is a living museum of Javanese culture. You can also watch a Ramayana Ballet, a traditional Javanese dance performance that tells the story of the Ramayana epic. Or, you can learn to cook Javanese food at one of the many cooking classes in Yogyakarta.
3. Explore the natural beauty of Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta is home to some stunning natural beauty. Mount Merapi is an active volcano that is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Yogyakarta. You can go hiking or trekking to the top of the volcano, or you can take a boat ride on the crater lake. You can also go white water rafting on the rivers around Yogyakarta. Or, you can visit the Pindul Cave, a beautiful cave that is popular for cave tubing.
4. Enjoy the vibrant nightlife of Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta has a vibrant nightlife scene. Malioboro Street is the main street in Yogyakarta, and it is a great place to shop, eat, and people-watch. There are also many live music venues in Yogyakarta where you can see traditional Javanese music or international bands. And, of course, you can't miss trying the delicious street food.
5. Visit other historical and cultural sites
In addition to Borobudur and Prambanan, there are many other historical and cultural sites to visit in Yogyakarta. Some of the most popular include:
- Sewu Temple: This 8th-century Hindu temple complex is located in the city of Yogyakarta.
- Kotagede: This historic city was once the capital of the Mataram Sultanate.
- Ullen Sentalu Museum: This museum houses a collection of Javanese art and artifacts.
- Parangtritis Beach: This beach is located on the southern coast of Java.
6. Take a cooking class
Yogyakarta is home to some of the most delicious food in Indonesia. If you want to learn how to make traditional Javanese dishes, you can take a cooking class. There are many cooking classes offered in Yogyakarta, so you can find one that fits your budget and schedule.
7. Go shopping
Yogyakarta is a place that is a shopping paradise. You can find traditional Javanese handicrafts, batik, and other souvenirs at the many markets and shops in Yogyakarta.
8. Visit a traditional Javanese village
If you want to experience traditional Javanese life, you can visit a traditional Javanese village. There are many traditional Javanese villages located near Yogyakarta.
9. Go hiking or trekking
Yogyakarta is home to some beautiful hiking and trekking trails. You can contact the tour agent to arrange and adjust it
10. Relax on the beach
Yogyakarta is located on the coast of Java. There are many beautiful beaches located near Yogyakarta. So, if you want to relax and soak up the sun, you can visit one of the many beaches. Yogyakarta is a city with something to offer everyone. Whether you're interested in ancient history, culture, nature, or nightlife, you're sure to find something to love in Yogyakarta.
Java Tourism Yogyakarta, in review
- Guides: Many rave about knowledgeable and friendly guides who personalize the experience. Names like Danny and Santos pop up frequently.
- Flexibility: Several reviewers appreciate the ability to customize itineraries to their interests.
- Safety: High marks for safe and comfortable transportation with reliable drivers.
- Overall experience: Many describe a memorable and enjoyable trip thanks to Java Tourism Yogyakarta's services.
Tour Packages Options:
They offer a wide variety of customizable packages catering to different interests:
- Cultural immersion: Explore Yogyakarta's rich heritage through visits to Kraton Palace, Taman Sari water castle, and traditional villages.
- Temple adventure: Witness the majesty of Borobudur at sunrise, climb the Prambanan temple pyramids, or delve into the history of temples like Selarong and Ratu Boko.
- Nature wonderland: Trek through the Merapi volcano slopes, witness stunning landscapes in Kalibiru National Park, or relax in the Gede-Pangrango National Park.
- Foodie delights: Embark on a culinary journey through Malioboro's street food, savor authentic Javanese dishes in local restaurants, or learn how to cook traditional cuisine.
- Beyond Yogyakarta: Discover the beauty of nearby regions like Solo, Dieng Plateau, or Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park.