Lern to Make Puppet ( Wayang kulit ) in Yogyakarta
Preserving shadow puppet culture
Shadow puppetry is an art and culture in Javanese society and especially Yogyakarta. There are several types of dollies that are still saved moment. They're a shadow poppet , golek poppet , and contemporary dollies made of sticks or paperboard. There are still numerous dollies maker in Yogyakarta who are willing to give information for people who want to learn to make Puppet Art. The following are way to make dollies and places to learn to make dollies in Jogja. Steps to Make Shadow Puppet There are several way in making shadow dollies.
The following is an explanation of these way
1. Preparing the Leather The leather used to make shadow dollies is buffalo or cow leather. tradesmen must know which the good leather so that the performing dollies are of good quality. After choosing the leather, the tradesmen begin to soak it in water for 1 day.
2. Cutting the Shape of the Puppet After the leather is ready to be reused into dollies, tradesmen start drawing the introductory shapes of the dollies. also the leather is cut according to the pattern that has been made. From this process, a piece of leather in the form of dollies is ready to be reused.
3. The Process of The Tatah After being cut, tradesmen can directly sculpt out dollies. Eyes, nose, style of poppet clothes and other details began to be made in this process. The tool used by tradesmen is a tool like a form that's hit with a rustic hammer.
4. Sungging Process The sungging process means giving color to the dollies. The first color used is the white base color. After being colored white, the poppet wastes are also given oil.
5. The Process of Installing Stalks After the wayang is clear and various, the final process is the installation of the stalk. The stalk is used to hold the dollies while performing. In addition, this stalk also serves as a support for dollies when it must be plugged into a banana stem. Where Tourist Can Learn to Make Puppet
Art Making dollies must now be inherited from generation to generation in the tradesmen family. numerous people began to be interested in learning to make it, so the tradesmen's family worked together with the sightseer vill to make poppet making training. Wukirsari Village is one place where excursionists can learn to make poppet art.
Learning package for making puppets
There are the routes and training packages offered by Wukirsari vill. Packages Offered There are two training packages for excursionists who want to learn to make a shadow poppet videlicet sungging and tatah stint packages. Each package type has a different focus on training and different prices.
The sungging stint package focuses on learning about poppet coloring ways. So excursionists will be given media in the form of one piece of poppet that has been cut and given the details. also excursionists will learn to paint the material with synthetic colorings. To join in this exercise, the sightseer must pay from 200,000 to 300,000 rupiah.
The alternate package is a tatah package that has a rather high position of difficulty. In this exercise, excursionists will learn to carve the skin to have beautiful details on the face, body, and poppet colour.
This package can be attended by at least 6 people in a training session with prices ranging from 300,000 to 500,000 rupiah depending on the size of the dollies chosen by excursionists. learning how to make dollies will take a long time.
But starting to learn from experts will give a deep print to excursionists. Learn to make Puppet Art from the basics is a way to help save Indonesian culture while adding the capability to produce art.
Can shadow puppets be used as souvenirs?
Yes, wayang kulit can be a great souvenir. Wayang kulit is a traditional Indonesian performing art that has been around for centuries. Wayang kulit is made from carved and painted cowhide. Wayang kulit is typically played by a dalang, who tells stories from the Mahabharata and Ramayana.
As a souvenir, wayang kulit has several advantages, namely:
- Unique and characteristic of Indonesia. Wayang kulit is a unique and characteristic performing art of Indonesia. No other country has a similar performing art.
- High artistic value. Wayang kulit is a work of art with high artistic value. Wayang kulit is made with complex techniques and requires high skills.
- Can be used as an educational tool. Wayang kulit can be used as an educational tool to introduce Indonesian culture to the wider community.